Friday, 1 July 2011

Singapore (and lost baggage in China)

Greetings from Singapore!  We arrived late last night and managed to get a good night's sleep in our hostel before exploring the city.  But before I get to that, I'd like to share some details of our (horrible) flights.  We were delayed leaving Vancouver by 90 minutes, and we somehow also lost an hour in the air, so we arrived in Guanzhou, China, quite late, with only 40 minutes to make our connecting flight to Singapore.  The airline (China Southern) had our boarding passes printed for us, and whisked us through security and made sure that we made our connecting flight (thankfully it was also delayed, otherwise I don't think we would have made it).  Unfortunately our bags were not given the same consideration and did not make the flight. (Oh, and I was sick to my stomach on that flight too... motion sickness combined with extreme heat!)  We filed lost baggage claims and were given S$80 each for emergency supplies by the airline, and were promised that our bags would be delivered by 6pm (at the latest!!) to our hostel.  Well, it's currently 7:40pm, and there's no sign of our bags.  I called the airport and they have not yet been found.  So we went on a brisk shopping trip to one of the mega cheap Chinese malls here, and bought some emergency supplies.  Fingers crossed that our bags will arrive tomorrow!!
But on to happier stories... we spent today just wandering the city.  It is so clean and organized here, I forget that I am in Asia.  The architecture is incredible and the people are very friendly.  There are a plethora of street stalls offering all types of food.  We had steamed Chinese buns for breakfast, and pho for lunch.  Delicious!  We then explored the Asian Civilization Museum this afternoon for a break from the heat.  They had an exhibit of Chinese Terracotta Warriors, and it was quite interesting.  We're about to go out and find some food for dinner, and then crash in our freezing cold room (hurrah for AC!).  Will post some pictures later when we can get wireless on our own laptop.  G'night!  

8 comments:

  1. Well the trip there sure sounded miserable. I hope you get your bags! I still have never had pho before - it's all made with beef broth (in fact that's what pho means, I believe). I am impressed that you found some that is not beefy. I hear there is one place in Vancouver that does a veg one and now I am inspired to find it. Good luck with the bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely no beef in the broth! It was very mild, and I think it was just water with spices. As for our bags, the airport called the hostel to say that our bags would be delivered at 4pm. Still aren't here yet (it's almost 5pm) but I remain optimistic (mostly because the thought of losing our bags this early is too upsetting).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kutz - I trust you were wearing Vaiver and he wasn't lost by the airline?

    ReplyDelete
  4. by the way, who is Puffin and who is the Gecko?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys! I hope that you have your luggage back by now and that you're having an awesome time. Can't wait to hear more of your adventures. We miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hah! Technically Greg is both the puffin and the gecko, although I'm tempted to call him the puffin and me the gecko, just to harass him. I'm sweet like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never, ever heard of a westbound flight losing an hour in the air. Hilarious! I mean. Glad you're okay!

    ReplyDelete