Sunday, 17 July 2011

Chilling out in the Perhentians

After a speedy cab ride and an adventurous boat ride, we arrived on the beautiful Perhentian islands!  We decided to go to the small island, as we were told it was cheaper and easier to get around.  After being forced to pay RM 2 per person to get from our boat to the shore via a smaller boat, we collapsed on the sand (quite literally, it was freaking hot!!).  Greg watched the bags while I tried to find lodging.  We settled on a place called Lemon Grass where we had our own small cabin with a fan and mosquito net for RM 60/night.  There were lots of other backpackers staying there, and there was a great porch overlooking the beach where we sat at night and played Euchre.  After settling in, we immediately hopped in the water to cool off, and then relaxed under a beach umbrella on the sand.  Stupidly, we did not realize that you had to pay for the privilege of an umbrella, so we were out 10 more ringgits.

I found us a lovely place to stay 

 Lunch at a lovely restaurant overlooking the jungle.

 Philip: do you recognize these rocks??

For dinner, we went to a popular restaurant on the beach, and I decided to deviate from my diet of rice and noodles, and decided to try the Vegetarian BBQ special, which consisted of blackcurrant juice, stir-fried vegetables and roti canai. I still can't figure out why the BBQ special involved a choice between stir-fried vegetables and fresh salad.  Greg was almost finished his meal by the time my food arrived, and it consisted of a raw salad of cabbage, onions and carrots.  Since I'm trying to stay away from raw fruit and vegetables, I told the waitress that she brought me the wrong meal.  After a great deal of language confusion, I was told that I did in fact receive stir-fried veggies, which was a pretty ridiculous lie.

The next day we decided to hike around the island.  Our goal was to hike to the fishing village on the southern tip of the island.  The trail took us along the shore, and it was a lovely hike. On the way back, we stopped at an isolated beach and went for a swim.
The trail was a red brick pathway, so it was impossible to get lost (well, I wouldn't put it past Greg, actually...)

Fishing village

Beautiful isolated beach

Our final day we signed up for a snorkeling trip, where we got to use our waterproof camera. Our first stop was at Turtle Point, where we caught glimpses of sea turtles.  Unfortunately there were tonnes of sea wasps in the water, which are pretty much invisible and deliver a very painful sting!  They are not dangerous, just horribly annoying.  Luckily our other snorkeling stops were fairly wasp-free.
A spectacular parrot fish.  You could actually hear them scraping the coral with their mouths (beaks?) underwater.

Shark!

This guy just looked poisonous.

Pretty colours

Greg swimming in a school of fish

This little guy came over to say 'hello'

Next stop: Georgetown, Penang!

6 comments:

  1. Dude, what the HELL is a sea wasp? You could not pay me to go near water that was host to whatever the hell they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh right - and gorgeous photos! (Sorry I was temporarily distracted by the concept of a 'sea wasp').

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds incredible! I can't believe you saw a shark! I would have been out of there so fast...

    I'm currently working on my thesis at my dining room table in Winnipeg. It's suppose to be 35 degrees today with crazy humidity and we don't have air conditioning.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sharks were really small, so we weren't worried... and they weren't at all interested in us!
    I hear you about the weather though, it's ridiculous here as well. Today we did a hike (only 7km) and I was absolutely dripping with sweat; it was disgusting.
    Good luck with the thesis writing! I'm thinking about you :) and I know how awful it is. You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK... OK... deep breaths... stay calm. phew... phew... tryin'.... to.... stay.... calm. Hold it together Philip. Deep, blue, ocean... Crap, that just makes it worse! I can't do it, sorry!


    OOOOHHHH MMMYYYYY GODDDDDDD THOSE ARE THE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! THOSE ARE THE ONES!!!!!

    I would say more, but my wallet is in my mouth.

    Holy crap that's a flash back for sure.

    Rock on you two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god, that's awesome, Philip! I hope we didn't traumatize you too much by bringing back terrifying memories.

    ReplyDelete